Kids Short Titanium Spindles for CrankBrothers Eggbeater Pedals
This product is sold out
It's not unusual for kids as young as 6 years old to be using cleat pedal systems, but all brands used standard (adult) length spindles, not great for kids - they are too long! Most brands pedals are also not designed to be serviced, unlike CrankBrothers Eggbeaters, so they are perfect to modify for use by children, resulting in a significant improvement in their Q-factor for better bike fit. In just a few seconds with basic tools, you can swap out the spindles and make a big difference.
They also happen to be super-lightweight (reducing all-important rotational weight), the best in muddy conditions and in our experience the easiest to release too!
1 set of Titanium spindles (LH and RH) manufactured from USA made Titanium:
- For 2011 onwards CrankBrothers Eggbeaters 1, 2, 3 & 11 pedals
- Standard spindle length (95.5mm) recommended for shoe sizes EU39 up at 62g
- Short spindle length (91.95mm) recommended for shoe sizes EU35 to EU37 at at 59g
- Very short spindle length (88.5mm) recommended for shoe sizes EU32 to EU34 at 55g
- Manufactured from Cro-Moly Alloy Titanium Ti-6Q2 (Ti-62222s) in the USA
- Rider weight limit 60kg
Take a look at the photos above to see the before and after images, with standard spindles fitted to the non-drive side and very short spindles fitted to the drive side - using EU32 shoes (with cleats set to position the shoe inwards to its maximum on the standard length spindles).
These spindles give you the freedom to use the adjustment available on the sole of the shoe, so you can set the cleat position so the shoes are as close as possible to the crank arm. The centre of the pedal is also more centered on their shoe, rather than the usual position (on the outside of their shoe/foot) which is a far better bike fit position for both comfort and power.
Apart from the ability to fit shorter, lighter spindles for better bike fit comfort and power, there are 4 more reasons why we think Eggbeaters are just perfect of kids;
- Lightweight: Shimano M520 SPD are approx 380g (range-topping XTR's are still 305g) but Eggbeater 3's are 278g - a lot of rotational weight for kids.
- Shimano's SPD system has 2 sided pedals, Eggbeater's have 4 sides for easy engagement.
- Q-factor is narrower on the standard Eggbeaters, a fundemental element of kids bikefit.
- They are fully serviceable, so prove a great long-term investment - kids don't outgrow their pedals...
But let's not forget, they are also the best at shedding mud!