Kids Triathlon Beginners Guide
Up until now its been difficult to find clothing and equipment for young triathletes, but as new specialist shop, we are stocking everything from Aquashere to Zone3, in the hope of encouraging new competitors into the sport. Our mission is to make it easy to get the correct clothing and equipment for your young triathlete.
With the recent explosion in popularity of youth triathlon, there is also an increased demand for kids sized tri-suits and wetsuits. Many quality adult brands are now making pint-sized versions of their kit with performance features from the adult ranges included as standard.
Junior triathlons are usually held in venues with a pool, but if you have a confident swimmer, from age 7 there are also a few open water events. Swim distances start from 50m rising to 2000m – not too daunting and just like the real thing!
Unlike adults triathlon, the bike and run legs take place within an enclosed area for safety reasons. These are often held on grass playing fields or parks, meaning Cyclocross bikes are ideal for the vast majority of events. These types of bike are perfect as they are designed to be used on either grass, mud or tarmac courses with a simple change of tyres.
Kids Racing recommends the following products to make sure your child has a great Triathlon.
1. For open water swims the AquaSphere Vista Jnr Aqua Swimming Mask combines the best technologies resulting in a comfortable, leak resistant fit with expanded visibility. The low profile frame provides a comfortable fit, and scratch resistant Plexisol lightweight lens have a special anti-fog treatment.
2. The BlueSeventy Torpedo Wetsuit has been tailored to 8 to 14 year olds with the benefits of warmth, buoyancy, safety and protection from the elements. Perfect for helping young athletes take the leap from the pool based events to open water.
3. One of the cheapest and quickest way to improve times are Elastic laces and kids sized number belts. Kids Racing stock a wide range of colours to ensure they co-ordinate with their tri-suits colour!
4. Cuda has just launched its Junior Performance cyclocross range of bikes which are great for the Triathlon Market. Lightweight but strong, they are great value for money and they even come with two sets of tyres for tarmac or grass.
5. The Mizuno Wave Rider 19 JNR is available in sizes 1-5.5, looks the same as its the well known adult version and at just 180g this neutral running shoe will provide lightweight cushioning and comfort. Mizuno Wave midsoles, due to their wavy shape and structure, are able to disperse the force of the shoes’ impact against the ground more evenly.
6. We like the Zone3 Tri-suit or separate top and shorts attention to detail, featuring a children’s specific tri fleece pad, easy to use front zipper if they get hot, leg grippers to prevent any movement of the shorts, and internal protection from the zip.